Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Saving the world with clothespins and obnoxious wine?

Just call me Wonder Woman.

Randy and I love wine. We enjoy tasting it, examining it, and critiquing it. Admittedly, we do not know what we are talking about. What it comes down to for us is quite simple. Does this wine make us happy? Or does this wine make us unhappy?

Well Mollydooker makes us unhappy. I don't understand what the big deal is, but everyone supposedly LOVES it. It tastes like a spoiled plum juice cocktail. Unhappy. To make matters worse, it surprises you with a spoonful of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Ugh.

But people go bonkers. Here is one person's comments from winelog.net:

"...an incredibly powerful Shiraz with tell-tale purity. Gorgeous plum, blackcurrant, rose and violet aromatics fill your glass, leading you to flavours that explode on your palate with layers of blackberry, licorice, and spicy sweet fruit. Super rich and opulent, this remarkable Shiraz finishes amazingly long with lovely hints of vanillan oak."

I guess I just prefer the old world wines. Give me dirt over "fruit bomb" any day.

I'm guessing the Boxer Shiraz is around 20 US dollars. It was a Christmas gift, and I wouldn't have bought it for 5 bucks. Having been disappointed by Molly in the past, I don't think we'll give her a try in the future.


And now for something completely different. I really like to line dry my clothes outside. There is a good article about how and why one should do this @ Mom Advice: Insight to Empower. I recycle everything I can, try to bring reusable grocery bags to the store, and we are thinking about selling our truck and becoming a one car household. I know this won't change the world, and I don't know if ignoring it will destroy mankind. I just feel changed when I stop to appreciate what I have available to use for the sake of my own convenience. I don't want to take electricity and or fuel use for granted, not anymore at least. I feel like I don't appreciate even half of what I should. I've also noticed that thinking critically about this stuff, along with consumerism and sweatshop labor, has helped me spend/waste less and invest more with my time and resources.


I'll try to update folks on my progress and backsliding here on the blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for YOU. I am not an enviromental fanatic but because i do sculptures with Clothespins (gerrysteca.com) i often come across interesting sites like LAUNDRYLIST.com.

cheers.